Monday, January 30, 2006


Eileen has started a book club waaay over there in Halifax and asked me if i had any suggestions for them. So I thought of a new of my favourites and decided to post them here in case anyone is interested in a new book or has read them and wants to comment.

First there is of course "Cereus Blooms at Night" by Shani Mootoo. I also have her book of short stories "Out on Main Street;" for anyone interested in the female, lesbian, Canadian, Trinidadian, postcolonial writing this book is great. For those of you just looking for a great book both of these are greeeeat. She's right up there as one of my favourite writers. I have yet to read the new one ("he drown she in the sea") but i have it and it's in que to be read.

The next one (or fourth one i guess) is "The God of Small Things" by Arundhati Roy. It's also beautifully written, metatextual in conciousness, and interesting. There is lots to talk about after reading this one.

And finally - b/c I should go write a couple papers - there is "Cock and Bull" by Will Self. Hugely great. I love the first one especially and there is a lot of material for discussion.

I should probably have a more involved analysis or at least description of these books but for now the above suits me fine. Let me know if anyone is interested b/c the Maxie Library is Open. I've even put in these slips of paper so that I can keep track of who's read what. yes, I'm a nerd. :)

3 comments:

M. said...

I'm losing my mind... everything looks like it was spelled incorrectly in that post! Am I losing it?

kmac said...

You have your own card catalogue?? Dude, you ARE a nerd!

M. said...

Takes one to know one :P