Friday, February 24, 2006



Although this isn't considered a great book, I really liked it. I think it's because I think our culture is filled with a lot of sexual ambiguities. Girls kiss each other for attention, threesomes aren't abnormal and I think in general people don't have a lot of hope for the regular marriage (or committed relationship, or whatever).

I think this book does a good job at saying "Ok, so what if all this stuff is true, what does this mean a relationship looks like?" We see two couples subject their marriage to sexual escapades (mostly together, but not all) and I think we see what feels necessary to the characters feels a lot more like self-indulgence.

I wouldn't say it's a great book, I didn't find I cared about the characters, but I did feel the emotional acrobatics they go through resonated for me. We can be flawed and be forgiven, but it's where we lie to ourselves and lie to those we care about that we really get hurt.

No comments: